Rules Regarding Discipline Manner, and Proctorial Systems
A. RULES REGARDING DISCIPLINE & MANNER
- A student causing any damage to the property, premises, books etc., of WUB shall have to compensate for the loss. The parents or students themselves will have to sign an undertaking to the effect. Any student instigating other(s) to do so or to misbehave with fellow students or staff shall be implicated for the above offences leading to suspension or expulsion.
- If a student is found misbehaving with the teacher and/or the staff of WUB, pressurizing the teacher and/or staff for changing the grades, he/she shall be deemed to have committed serious offences for which he/she may be expelled from the WUB and his/her rights as a student shall be seized. However, he/she should continue to repay the liabilities incurred to WUB. Any grievance arising out of this may be resolved by following the procedures given later.
- A student doing anything detrimental to the interest of WUB and its academic programs shall be asked to withdraw from the program, and in the case of failure shall be suspended with ultimate right of expulsion. However, he/she may be pardoned on payment of specified amount of fees or condition.
B. EXAMINATION OFFENCES AND DISCIPLINARY ACTIONS
The following shall be considered as Examination offences of a student:
- Illegal communication with one another inside examination hall,
- Smoking inside examination hall,
- Absence of Invigilator's signature on the script,
- Possession of incriminating documents,
- Copying from mobile phone or from bench top or from incriminating documents or from
- Using abusive language or holding out threats to the invigilators or any person in the examination hall,
- Creating obstruction or disturbance inside the examination hall,
- Assault or attempt to assault the Chief Investigator/Invigilator-in-Charge, or the Invigilator or anyone else in the examination hall,
- Smuggling of script into the out of examination hall,
- Writing of answer-script in an unauthorized place,
- Replacing the cover or any page of the answer-script,
- Impersonation at the examination,
- Taking false pleas/advantage of false pleas of illness/pregnancy,
- Substitution of or addition to answer-script without lawful authority,
- Assisting/abetting of the commission of the above offences,
- Such other acts on the part of an examinee as in the opinion of the Chief Invigilator/ Invigilator -in-Charge may constitute an offence.
- Disciplinary action in the form of cancellation of the examination and debarring for appearing at the subsequent examinations or withdrawal of financial support, who commit an examination offence as defined above, may be initiated by the Chief Executive Officer (CEO i.e. the v. c).
- In making the initiative, the CEO shall follow the under-mentioned principles:
- Examinees who are detected in the act of communication which one another or using mobile phone or found smoking inside the examination hall shall be fined according to the gravity of the offence,
- Absence of invigilator's signature will make the examination liable to cancellation,
- Examinees who are found with incriminating documents in their possession shall be debarred from appearing at one more examinations in addition to the cancellation of the examination concerned,
- Examinees who are detected in copying from incriminating documents or from another script or found creating obstruction or disturbance inside the examination hall shall be debarred from appearing at two more examinations in addition to the cancellation of the examination concerned,
- Examinees who use abusive language or hold out threats to the Chief Investigator/ Invigilator-in-Charge/Invigilator or any other person in the precincts of the examination hall, smuggle answer-script into and out of the examination hall, or replace the cover or any page of answer-script, substitute one answer-script or part thereof for another, or add to an answer-script any extra page with answer not written by him in the examination hall during examination period, shall be debarred from appearing at three more examinations in addition to the cancellation of the examination concerned,
- examinees who are found to have written answer-scripts in unauthorized places or personated at the examination or taken false pleas/advantage of false pleas of illness/pregnancy, shall be debarred from appearing at four more Examinations in addition to the cancellation of the examination concerned,
- If any examinee assaults the Chief Invigilator/ Invigilator-in-Charge/Invigilator or commits such other serious offences, he/she would be liable to maximum punishment up to debarment from all subsequent examinations of the University or expulsion in addition to the cancellation of the examination concerned,
- Abetment of the above offences shall be equally punishable.
- Examinees committing any of the examination offences mentioned above may be allowed to continue with the examination in that paper. Such scripts shall not be sent for evaluation but will be sent separately. Permission to appear at the examination in subsequent papers will be at the discretion of the Chief Supervisor or Officer-in-Charge, as the case may be.
- The invigilator shall submit to the Chief Invigilator /Invigilator-in-Charge of the Examination Centre separate report in the prescribed form for each case stating clearly the nature and circumstances of the offence with all connected documents in support of the case, underlining the copied portions in the script as well as in the incriminating documents in the case of actual copying.
- The Chief Invigilator/Invigilator or the Invigilator -in-Charge shall forward to the Controller of Examinations the report of the Supervisor/Invigilator/Officer/person connected with the examination and the relevant documents with his own opinion along with the script concerned.
- Any other case not covered by the above shall be dealt with by the Disciplinary committee as it deems fit.
- The Vice Chancellor has the right to impose or condone all the offences mentioned above.
- If concerned student is found guilty of misconduct, misbehavior, or breach of discipline, he/she may be debarred from enjoying financial benefits. If a student is expelled from the University, he/she will not be given any letter of recommendation, transcript, refund of any part of fees, and the certificate while he/she is entitled to obtain or any chance of re-admission.
C. DISCIPLINARY COMMITTEE
- Any breach of discipline of serious nature will go to the disciplinary committee.
- The Disciplinary Committee shall consist of
- the Vice-Chancellor,
- the Pro-Vice-Chancellor,
- The Proctor,
- the Deans,
- once member of the Syndicate,
- Registrar or his representative.
- The decision of the disciplinary committee is binding on all parties.
- Three members shall form a quorum.
- Members of the Committee shall hold office for one year only but they shall continue to be members till their successors are elected or appointed, as the case may be, and they shall be eligible for re-appointment.
- The power of the Disciplinary Committee may be executed by the Vice Chancellor in case of usages & thereafter it will be reported to the Syndicate.
- Every teacher of the university shall have the following power:
- To impose a fine on a student for misbehavior within the University campus.
- To cancel his attendance for that day in tutorial or practical class and in the case of general class upto three days.
- A teacher may exercise these power whenever he/she considers that the student is guilty of an act of indiscipline or misconduct which calls for the exercise of any of the aforesaid power. His/her action shall be final. Any such action taken by the teacher shall be reported by him/her to the Chairman of the Department concerned who will report the case to the Vice-Chancellor.
- Moreover, a teacher may recommend to the Vice-Chancellor further disciplinary measures against a student or students in case of a grave misconduct on the part of the latter. The Vice-Chancellor may, according to his discretion, debar a student from appearing at an examination or impose such other penalty as he may think fit in line with previously stated procedure/s.
D. PROCTORIAL SYSTEMS
- The Proctor shall be an officer of the university directly responsible to the Vice-Chancellor, He would be assisted by Assistant Proctors who would be responsible to the Proctor.
- The following shall be the main duties of a Proctor.
- He/she shall be responsible for the discipline and conduct of students within the university campus.
- He/she shall perform such other duties regarding the discipline of students as may be required by the Vice-Chancellor from time to time.
- The Proctor or one Assistant Proctor shall ordinarily remain in each of the university buildings during university hours for maintaining order and discipline in the university. (The prefect or class representative (C.R.) will be given specific responsibility and will normally be the 1st/2nd boy/girl of the class based on the highest CGPA).
- The Proctor, if he/she finds necessary, may recommend to the Vice-Chancellor the appointment of a Prefect or Prefects from amongst the senior students to help him maintaining discipline, and order in the university.
- The Proctor shall take such steps as he/she thinks necessary for the purpose of ensuring disciplined behavior and good conduct on the part of every student at all hours within the university campus.
- The students of the university will be provided with identity cards, which they must wear with in the campus, failing of which may entail penalties even several times in a day.
- The Vice-Chancellor may delegate such of his disciplinary power as he may think fit to the Proctor. The Vice-Chancellor shall issue standing orders as to the extent of the power which he delegates to the Proctor.
- The Proctor shall have power to impose on a student a fine up to TK. 5000/- (Five thousand) at a time for a breach of discipline or misconduct in the University.
- The Assistant Proctor shall have power to impose on a student a fine not exceeding TK. 3000/- (Three thousand) at a time, for breach of discipline or misconduct and report their action to the Vice-Chancellor through the Proctor.
- Except recognized club or clubs, no other clubs or societies or student organizations or associations shall be allowed to be formed. No parties or entertainments shall be held within the premises of the university nor shall a student play musical instrument or use a loud speaker in the university premise without, the prior permission of the authority.
A breach of this rule will be treated as breach of discipline.
- The Proctor in consultation with the Vice-Chancellor may take suitable action against any student who will fully damages, disfigures or destroys university properties, or does not observe the rules for facilitating movement within the university and for keeping the university neat and clean and for proper parking of vehicles.
- Each teacher and officer of the university shall have proctorial power and he/she can use when necessary to take appropriate action for maintaining discipline in the University. Every such action shall be reported to the Vice-Chancellor through the Proctor.
- In an emergency, the Proctor or any of the Assistant Proctors can seek help of any teacher or employee of the university in the discharge of his duties in the university or outside, at all hours and it shall be the duty of the teachers or employees concerned to give his every reasonable assistance.
- No student of the university individually or collectively shall declare a "strike" of the university students nor shall student prevent another student of the university from attending the university classes, laboratories or library.
A student found guilty of violation of the provisions of this section will be liable to forfeit his/her scholarship, stipend etc. He/she may be expelled for repeating such behavior.
- No meeting of the students of the university other than the meetings organized by the university or by different departments of the university shall be held in any part of the university without the prior permission of the authority and no demonstration shall be organized within any part of the university.
A student found guilty of violation of the provisions of this section will be liable to punishment up to expulsion from the university as well as forfeiture of his/her scholarship/stipend.
- Student shall not organize any extra or co-curricular activities without written permission from the higher authority.
E. SETTLEMENT OF DIFFERENCES OF OPINION OR DISPUTE
- In case of any desperate disagreement and differences of opinions between students and students, between students & authority, the issues shall be settled by bilateral discussion.
- If the bilateral discussion fails, the issue shall be referred to the Arbitration Council consisting of the guardian of the student, a teacher of the University and any member of the Academic Council of WUB. The decision of the arbitration council is final